By Chef Gregory Hunter
Yield: 4 portions
What you need:
1.5 lbs Teres Major (beef “petite tenders”)
For the Herb Marinate:
3/4 oz Fresh Garlic, peeled and minced
1-1/2 ea Shallots, peeled and minced
1/2 oz Fresh Sage Leaves, chiffonade
3/4 oz Fresh Oregano Leaves, minced
4 oz Balsamic Vinegar
5 oz Olive Oil
For the Sauce:
2-3/4 cup Red Wine
2-3/4 cup Veal Stock (can sub beef stock)
3/4 oz cold butter, cut into small pieces
How to make it:
- Clean petite tenders of all excess fat and silver skin.
- In a stainless steel bowl, combine garlic, shallots, sage, oregano, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add beef, making sure each piece is well covered with marinate. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, refrigerate for a minimum of 15 minutes (overnight is best).
- In brazier or large roasting pan, sear beef well on all sides. Add red wine and simmer on medium heat until reduced by half. Add veal stock and continue to simmer until mixture is reduced by one quarter and internal temperature of meat reaches 135°F.
- Remove beef and add cold cubed butter to sauce to thicken.
- To serve, cut beef into 1/4-inch medallions and arrange 4-ounces portion per plate. Nape with sauce and serve with vegetable and starch of your choice. Garnish appropriately.