A healthy and light summer snack idea for seniors
Recipe for healthy senior living: Asian Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
With a total prep and cook time of less than 30 minutes, this Asian chicken salad lettuce wrap recipe is the perfect summer snack. Not too heavy, not too light; we think it's just right, and best enjoyed with a refreshing, tall glass of sparkling water.
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 15 minute
Yield: 5 servings
Serving size: 2 wraps: ½ cup chicken salad per wrap
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 8-oz can crushed pineapple in 100% juice, juice reserved
- 10.5-ounce no sugar added Mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 green onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 10 Boston Bibb lettuce leaves
- ¼ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
Get tips on how to eat and stay healthy at any age.
- In a medium stockpot, bring the chicken broth to a simmer. Add the bay leaves and chicken and simmer covered for 15 minutes, flipping over at the halfway mark. The internal temperature should read 165º F.
- Discard the bay leaves and reserve the chicken on a plate until cool enough to touch, then shred and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, pineapple, mandarin oranges, celery, carrots, almonds, green onions, salt and pepper. Add in the set aside dressing, and toss with tongs to evenly combine.
- To serve, place ½ cup chicken salad in each lettuce leaf.
Nutrition Information: Per Serving: (2 wraps: ½ cup chicken salad per wrap)
Calories: 247, Calories from fat: 73, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 55mg, Sodium: 543mg, Carbohydrates: 21g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar 12g, Protein: 24
At Holiday Retirement independent senior living communities, we place an incredible amount of attention and focus on creating the best dining program for our residents and seniors.For more tips on how to eat and stay healthy at any age, read Holiday Retirement's Holiday Home Cooking ebook.