Simple ways to honor a senior who has served on Veterans Day
At Holiday Retirement, our commitment to veterans extends from hosting numerous veterans’ events, honoring our veteran residents with distinguished Walls of Honor and participating as a National Founding Partner in the Veterans History Project. We are extremely grateful for all veterans and the service and sacrifice they provide for our country.
Pledge to make every day Veterans Day with one of our suggestions below:
- Give back: Thank a veteran for their service by offering to serve them! Perhaps there’s someone in your neighborhood who doesn’t move around as easily as they used to? Offer to help them around the house or bring them a meal.
- Perform: Part of a choir, A cappella group or band? Visit a senior living community to honor senior veterans with patriotic songs and performances.
- Get involved: Find a nearby senior living community and inquire whether you could help spruce up their flagpole, visit with a senior veteran or take a resident out to lunch a little goes a long way in saying thanks.
- Work with Honor Flight: Honor Flight Network is a nonprofit organization that recognizes veterans for their service by flying them to Washington, D.C., to visit the national war memorials. Help a veteran in your community or a nearby senior living home apply for the honor.
- Say “thank you”: Simply saying “thank you” to a veteran for their service can mean a lot. It’s such an easy act of gratitude that it is often overlooked.
- Support a veteran charity: There are many organizations that support seniors’ health and well-being, like Outward Bound for Veterans, the Veteran History Project and the Honor Flight Network. Show your gratitude by donating time or resources.
Holiday Retirement’s communities are home to thousands of veterans and their spouses. We’re dedicated to honoring those who have served, both past and present. Contact Holiday Retirement to find out how we make a difference in veterans’ lives every single day. We offer an affordable, relaxing and enjoyable independent senior lifestyle befitting these brave men and women.