Stretches to improve core muscles for seniors
Throughout our life and as we age, our bodies tend to slouch more often. We sit hunched over in chairs and desks, stand incorrectly, or have otherwise poor posture, which all tend to cause our belly and back’s “core” muscles to weaken as a consequence. But don’t fret! You don’t need to do strenuous exercises and dozens of stomach crunches every day to get or maintain a strong core. It's never too late to start, either. In fact, keeping a strong core can be as easy as getting down on some grass right now and performing these three safe and easy exercises, which all target and help strengthen your core muscles!
- Take off your shoes to feel the soothing grass!
- Kneel on all fours.
- First, lift up your right leg. Then, lift up your left arm.
- Instead of striving to lift your leg and arm higher, try to hover lower toward the ground.
- Relax your shoulder and face, so you can feel the diagonal line between your right toes and left fingers. This is your core growing in length!
- Switch by lifting your left leg and right arm, and then repeat, alternating legs and arms.
- Kneel upright.
- Lengthen your spine and neck like a boat’s mast, and spread your shoulders and arms like a sail catching the breeze.
- As you lean your chin forwards into the wind, notice how your hamstrings twitch and your belly firms up. This is your core strengthening!
- Sit on your bottom.
- Lift up your hands and feet.
- Float like a boat. Rock back and forth, and bob up and down. Paddle gently with your hands and feet.
- Relax so you don’t waste energy and sink like a stone! This is your core creating anti-gravity resistance.
Stretching regularly has been shown to increase blood flow to the your muscles and improve flexibility, as well as the range of motions that is possible in your joints. By starting each morning and ending each night with these safe, easy, and simple stretching exercises, you will help set the right tone for enjoying a productive day and a restful, relaxing night’s sleep.
Holiday Retirement is committed to providing a variety of life-enriching resources and activities, each designed to help seniors live longer, happier, healthier lives. For more information, contact us today or schedule a visit!