Three safe and easy exercises you can do in the morning
- Lying flat on your back, hold your right knee close to your chest for 30-60 seconds in order to loosen stiffness in your hip.
- Then, straighten your leg and grip the hamstring with both hands. Make sure to extend your elbows.
- Inhaling through the nostrils, lift your head up.
- Exhaling through the nostrils, set your head down.
Repeat the steps listed above with your left leg.
- Count your number of head-lifts on Day 1, and add one more head-lift each week thereafter.
This exercise strengthens your core, arms, and shoulders.
- Open your arms wide and bend both legs to the right side.
- Turn your head toward the left.
- Inhaling, fill up your chest with air.
- Exhaling, suck your stomach muscles inwards. Relax and breathe.
Repeat the steps listed above with your legs bent to the left and your head turned toward the right.
This exercise loosens lower back stiffness, aids digestion, and strengthens lung-capacity.
- Set the soles of your feet on the bed at a comfortable distance and width.
- Inhaling, lift your hips upwards.
- Exhaling, relax your hips downwards vertebrae by vertebrae.
- Count your number of hip-lifts on Day 1, and add one more hip-lift each week thereafter.
This exercise is excellent for sciatica, tight hamstrings, and weak core muscles.
Charlie Higgins is affectionately known at many Holiday Retirement communities as "Yoga Charlie." Charlie a graduate of Reed College and a certified yoga instructor. Charlie specializes in yoga for retirees and he teaches at a number of Holiday communities in the Portland, Oregon area. His classes focus on range-of-motion, peripheral awareness, balance and breathing. As a guest author for Holiday Retirement, Charlie is excited to share fun, safe and easy tips for senior health & wellness. Explore more exercises by Charlie. or visit his website: www.samdhyayoga.com.