Three stretches to ease shoulder pain and stiffness
Here are three safe and easy exercises that will improve your shoulder’s range-of-motion.
Exercise #1- This exercise improves your range of motion overhead.
- Lift your right hand in slow motion to avoid cringing.
- touch the top of your head with your right middle finger.
- Relax your shoulders and face.
- Let your chin move freely upwards and take a deep breath.
- Finally, bring your attention to your right middle finger tip and breathe deeply.
- Let your right hand float down and, after a few relaxing breaths, repeat the steps lifted above with your left hand.
Exercise #2- This exercise improves your rotator cuff's range of motion backwards.
- Place your wrists behind your waist and touch your two index fingers together.
- incline your torso forward.
- Relax and feel your breath while pushing your shoulders backwards.
Exercise #3 - This exercise improves your rotator cuff's lateral range of motion.
- Lift your right hand up slowly, as to avoid cringing.
- Touch the most prominent vertebrae in your neck.
- Gently bring your left hand to your right elbow.
- Guide the right elbow up and back and to the right.
- Breathe from your belly and relax.
- Release the pressure gently, and after a few relaxing breaths, repeat the steps listed above with your right hand.
Charlie Higgins is affectionately known at many Holiday Retirement communities as "Yoga Charlie." Charlie a graduate of Reed College and a certified yoga instructor. Charlie specializes in yoga for retirees and he teaches at a number of Holiday communities in the Portland, Oregon area. His classes focus on range-of-motion, peripheral awareness, balance and breathing. As a guest author for Holiday Retirement, Charlie is excited to share fun, safe and easy tips for senior health & wellness. Explore more exercises by Charlie. or visit his website: www.samdhyayoga.com.