Yoga for Seniors: The Sun Salutation
In addition to stimulating your lung capacity and waking up your emotions, this exercise strengthens your thighs, abdomen muscles, and balance.
- Make yourself comfortable on the floor or on your bed.
- Kneel upright and bring your palms together in front of your chest.
- Breathe deeply through your nostrils.
- Affirm your heart, your loved-ones, your beliefs, and your day ahead.
This exercise increases your peripheral awareness, loosens lower back stiffness, and strengthens your arms.
- Next, place your palms on the floor or bed at a comfortable distance, lean your pelvis downwards, and bring your gaze upwards.
- Breathe deeply.
- Relax your body and mind so that you can feel blessed by your surroundings.
- Now, keeping your palms in place, lean your hips backwards toward your heels.
- Bring your forehead down to the floor or bed, and relax your shoulders.
- Breathe deeply. Like a turtle in its shell, feel at home.
- With each coming breath, give thanks to the Earth, to your heart-beat, and for the harvests of your life.
- Finally, lift your palms and forehead from the floor or bed, and kneel upright.
- Return to your starting position, to “Salute the Sun” again and again!
Charlie Higgins is affectionately known at many Holiday Retirement communities as "Yoga Charlie." Charlie a graduate of Reed College and a certified yoga instructor. Charlie specializes in yoga for retirees and he teaches at a number of Holiday communities in the Portland, Oregon area. His classes focus on range-of-motion, peripheral awareness, balance and breathing. As a guest author for Holiday Retirement, Charlie is excited to share fun, safe and easy tips for senior health & wellness. Explore more exercises by Charlie. or visit his website: www.samdhyayoga.com.